In 1762, the Presbyterian community that gathered in what is now Southeastern Guilford County in North Carolina organized Alamance Presbyterian Church. The church was formally chartered in 1764. They built their first meeting house on a high hill overlooking rolling farmland near a branch of the Alamance Creek. Alamance took its name from that identifying geographical feature, as was the custom at that time.
Alamance was the second Presbyterian congregation founded in Guilford County.
Though they were served by the same pastor, the famous Rev. Dr. David Caldwell, the Alamance and Buffalo Presbyterian Churches had remarkably different characters. Buffalo was an Old Side congregation. Old Side Presbyterians opposed the “enthusiasm” and disorder that swept through the colonies during First Great Awakening. New Side congregations embraced this Spirit. Alamance was clearly a New Side congregation.
In 1801, Alamance began to hold revival meetings that played a small role in the beginning of the Second Great Awakening. This "Big Meeting” drew thousands to the hill for two weeks of preaching, fellowship, and reunion. Though much smaller in scope, Alamance still celebrates its Big Meeting every year.
Alamance has grown and changed much over the past 250+ years. The first settlers built a small log church to serve the congregation. In 1955, the fifth and present sanctuary was constructed on the hill with a seating capacity of 500.
Alamance has long focused its energy on evangelism and education. Today, its focus is on mission and hospitality -- particularly on caring for people through food. In 2010, Alamance began a Food Pantry ministry. Partnered with Second Harvest Food Bank, the pantry now feeds up to 150 families a month.
The church chartered a Child Development Center in the 1980s that now serves 100 children in our community every weekday.
The church has sent mission teams to Mexico and Peru. After Hurricane Katrina, Alamance sent more than a dozen teams to Louisiana for disaster relief. Alamance was instrumental in chartering Guilford County’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity; and in bringing a Ten Thousand Villages store to Greensboro. In 2018, Alamance dedicated its former manse as the Coble House. Named after the late U.S. Congressman Howard Coble, the Coble House is a space Alamance uses to practice hospitality in our community.
In 2021, Alamance began a mobility lift van ministry to help people with disabilities in our community.
Alamance continues to look for creative ways to engage our community and the wider world.
To find out more about the history of Alamance Presbyterian Church, schedule a visit to our Historical Room with Coordinator Linda Aydelette.
That same hill where Alamance has long hosted Revivals is now home to the Alamance Church cemetery, one of the largest privately-held cemeteries in North Carolina. The oldest graves in the cemetery predate the American Revolution. Generations of deceased members are buried there.
Our cemetery has long been a point of interest for historians and genealogists. Members and their families are entitled to burial in the cemetery. You can find our current cemetery guidelines here, here, and here. The cemetery now includes a columbarium. You can find those guidelines here.
You can search our cemetery at Find a Grave's website here