Story of APC

So we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individualy we are members of one another.  Romans 12:5

A brief history:

 

  • In 1762, a small log church was built on a knoll. The little congregation of settlers who worshiped there asked the Presbytery of Philadelphia (the first organized presbytery in the colonies) to formally recognize the Alamance Presbyterian Church.

  • In 1764, 22 members organized as a Presbyterian church.

  • In 1813, the Synod of North Carolina was organized at Alamance (since replaced by the Synod of the Middle Atlantic).

  • In 1823, a Female Benevolent Society was organized.

  • The first Sunday school was organized in 1825. It provided a free public education to the community.

  • In 1894 a Young People’s Society was organized.

  • By 1950, rapid growth in membership led to a blossoming campaign of building, into the campus footprint that APC inhabits today: the Sanctuary building, the Grant (middle) building, and the Educational building.

  • Focus in the latter half of the 20th century was on education, both in the church and in the community. A kindergarten program began in 1969 that evolved into a full-time Child Development Center in 1984.

  • In 1998, an additional childcare service for part-time infant and toddler care was set up as Mothers’ Morning Out.

  • The 2000s have already seen major repairs and physical improvements to the buildings on this hill.

  • The sanctuary was renovated. The chancel area was reconfigured.

  • The middle building, the Grant building, was gutted and rebuilt from the inside out; with new wiring and lighting, new plumbing, and a new steel skeleton. An elevator was installed, to make all three buildings completely handicapped-accessible.

  • Sidewalk steps were converted to ramps for easy access to the ground floor of the Grant building and the sanctuary building, through the breezeway.

  • Three well-organized kitchens were installed, to serve both the congregation and the Child Development Center.

  • A picnic pavilion was built behind the church.

  • In 2015, all the building debt for these major renovations was paid in full. The up-to-date spaces are ready to serve the next quarter-century of congregational life at Alamance.

  • The manse, built in 1942, is undergoing major repairs -- to be converted into the Coble Center for Community Outreach, in memory of the late Hon. John Howard Coble, U.S. Congressman (retired).

 

© Copyright 2016 Alamance Presbyterian Church. All Rights Reserved.