History of Alamance Presbyterian Church
Alamance Presbyterian Church Celebrates 250 Years
Established in 1762 and known as one of the largest rural Presbyterian churches in the United States, Alamance Presbyterian Church marked its 250th year as a Christian community in 2012.
It is said that during the construction of the first log church in 1762, Andrew Finley, a founding father, prayed that there would always be a faith community on the hill where the early pioneers knelt. Throughout its history, Alamance Presbyterian Church has been a continuous worshipping community on that same hill in five different church sanctuaries under the leadership of eighteen senior ministers. The first two ministers, Dr. David Caldwell and Reverend Eli Caruthers served almost 100 years from 1768 to 1861. Both Andrew Finley and Eli Caruthers are buried in the church’s historical cemetery.
With a central location among the Presbyterian settlements of North Carolina, the Presbyterian Synod of North Carolina was organized at Alamance Church in 1813 while David Caldwell was pastor. Since then Alamance Church has nurtured faith communities beyond the local congregation. Alamance organized Pleasant Garden Church in 1915, which lasted approximately twenty years, and organized Vandalia Presbyterian Church in 1959. The church has been an active mission partner with Habitat for Humanity, Greensboro Urban Ministry and The Salvation Army for many years. Beyond North Carolina, Alamance has sponsored mission work in Africa, Haiti, Peru, Mexico, India, Egypt, and in hurricane ravaged Louisiana following Katrina.
Over the years, Alamance Presbyterian Church has had a special relationship with its neighbors in the Alamance community. During 1945-47 after the Alamance School burned, the church’s Sunday School rooms were used as classrooms by the school system. The Church has also opened its doors for the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Fire Department events, the Lions Club, and Alcoholics Anonymous. The Children’s Education Building was built in 1966 and the church began a kindergarten program in 1969 which evolved into preschool and after-school care in 1970. The church opened the full-time Alamance Child Development Center for the community in 1984 and added a Mother’s Morning Out Program in 1998. More recently, Alamance has begun a local Food Pantry ministry which is open on Saturday mornings by reservation.
A more detailed history is found in the document "Church History 2009" available for download below.
|Alamance Church: A Historical Address||
|Church History 2009||
|APC Cemetery Survey||